Thursday, November 1, 2012

Star Wars Episode VII

Disney Buys Lucasfilm for $4 Billion

In a rather unexpected move, Disney has proceeded to buy Lucasfilm, Skywalker Sound, Industrial Light and Magic, and LucasArts from George Lucas for $4 billion. They are paying Lucas half the price in cash and half in stocks. This makes Lucas the 2nd biggest owner of Disney stocks (other than the late Steve Jobs). Disney plans to release Star Wars Episode VII in 2015. Disney is also looking into starting a Star Wars TV show on their cable-satellite channel Disney XD.

This is probably the most important entertainment news I've heard for the past couple months. It is so amazing that Star Wars movies still have the potential to be created, especially since most thought that the franchise was done putting out new movies. It is a huge shift in the movie business and a major power move for Disney.

As a student, this piques my interest in how a business deal like this works. How does a shift in power this large happen? As a filmmaker, it is a great thing to know that there are many parts of the Star Wars franchise that will be renewed or started. It creates jobs in the industry that could potentially last a long time. As a consumer, nothing could please me more than to see my favorite movie franchise ever come out with another movie (especially one not written with Lucas's awful dialogue). I could not be more excited for 2015!!

I have many questions after reading this article. First, how good will this new Star Wars film be? Who is going to direct it? Write it? Act in it? What will the storyline be? Will it follow the books? How does the addition of all these companies affect Disney? What about George Lucas? I cannot wait to find out the answers to all these questions. For now, I will be waiting to hear any tiny tidbit of news about this fantastic deal between Disney and Lucasfilm.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with you. It's amazing that they can still have star wars episodes. Disney is buying many productions. They are going to be the biggest production. I can't wait to watch the show. I wonder who else Disney might buy next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I first heard that a new Stars Wars movie was being made I had the same reaction as you did...utter surprise. I also thought the whole franchise was done considering the factor that it had come full circle with the last film. Although I have never really been a Stars Wars fan as others, I am interested to see how this will turn out because it can go so many ways. Some people are excited just like you :) yet I am sure others are shaking their heads. Due to this, I am reminded of the Spiderman series; the first three movies, with Tobey Maguire in my opinion, were great and so I have to admit I hated the fact that a remake of one of my favorite superhero movies was created only a few years later.
    As for Disney buying Lucasfilm, that was a very smart move for them; like you said, Disney is becoming very powerful because it wasn't that long ago that Disney also bought Marvel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never watched a single Star Wars movie. Like, ever. So, I'm not really concerned as a consumer or otherwise. It does raise a few questions, however. Disney continues to buy productions, like Melvin said. An example would be their purchase of Marvel Studios. It's no doubt that Disney is one of the largest film studios in the industry. If they continue what they're doing, it could either be a blessing or a curse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hold up a second... What did you just say?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think I need to lend you my box set.

      Delete