Thursday, November 29, 2012

Seven Egyptians Sentenced to Death Due to Participation in Anti-Islam Film

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/11/29/egyptian-court-orders-death-sentences-over-anti-islam-film/

Seven Egyptians living abroad have been given the death sentence by a Cairo court. They have been charged for their alleged connection to the anti-Islamic film from America that led to riots in the extremely Islamic Middle East. However, the sentence cannot be enforced unless the seven return home to Egypt.

This instantly piqued my interest because I was surprised the anti-Islam film is still making headlines. It's fascinating to see how much of a lasting impact a film so controversial can have on the world. The fact that aggressive action is still being taken against the film is mind-boggling to me.

As a student, this teaches me the lasting effects of a historical event. This outbreak of terrorism due to the film will most likely end up in future history books. As a consumer, it is crazy to know that something I can watch has such an impact on the world. As a filmmaker, it teaches me to stay away from creating a film that is so controversial it causes violence.

Some questions I have about this article are: Will the men ever be able to return home? How much longer will the hysteria continue? Will there be more sentencings? Is the verdict correct or false? These will hopefully be answered in the future.

4 comments:

  1. Leave it to crazy islamic extremists to kill someone for what they believe in. It seems to me that they will never grow out of this barbaric nature of theirs... Maybe in a few hundred years they will... probably not though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see where you are coming from when you are saying that it shows the lasting events of a historical evet.
    And I agree with what Spencer is saying also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am also surprised that this is still happening considering it is 2012; it seems that the human race should have improved by now instead of turning to violence as a solution. Yet, I guess there is no time limit for hate or violence.
    I also remember reading about this on yahoo and even doing a blog post about it weeks before but just like you, I did not think this event would get even bigger. I just hope everything turns out all right so no more people have to suffer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's unfortunate that many countries in the world do not get the same privileges that filmmakers in the United States. They don't have the same right to free speech or free press. I think it's crazy to kill people simply because they were a part of an anti-Islam film. Although the film did cause great conflict, it still isn't enough to murder.

    ReplyDelete