Thursday, March 21, 2013

Journal #3: The Screenplay

This week, Amber and I started working on our screenplay. The first thing we decided on was how to divvy up the writing job. After discussing this with Amber, we decided that she would write dialogue, and I would write everything else. So far, this has been working extremely well. We have made sure to check each other's work, and we are open to suggestions from each other as per usual. I could not be happier with the way this project is going so far.

Although most of the screenplay lies ahead of us, we have finished Act I and the beginnings of Act II with only the most minor hitches. I feel we need to focus on what is necessary for our story. I do not want a script full of filler information, action, and dialogue that have no purpose. I want to shock people with the plot. I want the audience to have ohmygod did-that-just-happen moments when they watch anything I write or collaborate on. I have a feeling that with Amber and I working as a team, we can accomplish all of this and more.

Another reason I am so happy with how smoothly the screenplay is going is because my SkillsUSA project is proving more stressful than I had previously thought. However, I have faith in Alexa and myself, and I know we will get our project as great as we can before we go to state competition on the 4th of April. I am excited to leave for San Diego, so the stress the project brings is worth the benefit of being prepared for the competition!

I can't wait to finish the screenplay and the Skills project over break with Amber and Alexa, respectively. I have confidence that both projects will turn out amazing!

2 comments:

  1. It is interesting how you and Amber decided to split script writing. :) Jachelle and I are writing everything together, although now I kind of want to try your technique out. Like you, I also want Jachelle and my script to be amazing and contain those shocking moments because they are the best ones.
    As for the Skills Project...it is stressful! Although I enjoy it because it is a new challenge and that is never something bad in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's many different types of writing techniques. I'm not too keen on splitting the script writing. I can't speak for Alexa, but I actually prefer writing with her. I feel like writing separately might make our script seem to choppy.

    ReplyDelete