Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Road to the Oscars #6: Miscellaneous Expectations

There are many things I hope I will see in the Academy Awards this year. The first thing I would like to address is the brilliant choice of making Seth MacFarlane the host. He very diverse man; while he is most known for his animated comedy show Family Guy, he is also a big band singer, a movie director, producer, and writer, and one of Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating People of 2012. Seth MacFarlane is a man that can bring levity to the Academy Awards in an edgy way that still maintains the class this important night in film calls for. MacFarlane's monologue at the beginning of the show is what I am most looking forward to this year at the Academy Awards, for he will not hold back. I hope he brings what Ricky Gervais brought to the Golden Globes the past few years, making the normally stiff awards ceremony a little lighter and looser for all who are present and who watch from their TV screens. If anyone can pull this off, it is Seth MacFarlane.

Another part of the Academy Awards that I enjoy is watching the various presenters succeed or fail in their teleprompter comedy. One presenter who I know will make me die of laughter is Melissa McCarthy, known best for her role in Bridesmaids and the newly released Identity Thief. Her blunt and comical lines will be sure to also loosen up the awards ceremony and give everyone watching a cause to laugh. I hope she does a skit at least half as funny as the Martin Scorsese Drinking Game from the 2012 SAG Awards. I have a good feeling she, like MacFarlane, cannot possibly disappoint.

One of the most important parts of the Academy Awards is the red carpet before the ceremony. Although I do not watch the red carpet pre-shows myself, one of my favorite guilty pleasures is watching Joan Rivers and the Fashion Police after major awards shows like the Oscars so I can see for myself the highlights of the red carpet without having to sit through hours of boring interviews. Joan Rivers' brutal commentary on every bad choice ever made in the world of fashion entertains me to no end and is exponentially better than judging for myself, for I do not possess her unique wit and fashion wisdom. Fashion Police the Friday after the Oscars is bound to be one of Rivers' best yet.

Finally, I cannot wait to see the stunned, ecstatic faces of all those who get the honor of holding an Oscar above their heads. Although the speeches are rather lengthy at times, my favorite part of any awards show is the initial shock, surprise, and outright happiness that appears on every winner's face. The knowledge that your work is being recognized for such an esteemed honor is an unimaginable feat, something I hope to experience down the road in my future film career. I pray that one day I will be one of those shocked, exuberant faces, saying their thanks in front of the world to their family, God, and of course every single person who they've ever worked with just to make the speech sound longer. The joy that is witnessed at the Academy Awards is by far my favorite part.

This year's Academy Awards will be one of the better ones, in my opinion, due to the brilliance of host Seth MacFarlane, presenters like Melissa McCarthy, fashion wows and blunders, and the happiness that exudes from every single winner of these beloved awards. Hopefully, my high expectations will be met!

The 85th Academy Awards airs this Sunday, February 24th, at 5pm PST (8 EST) on ABC. For a list of nominees and more information, visit the official website of the Academy Awards.

3 comments:

  1. They're allowed a lengthy speech! Haha. I feel the same way about the winners' reactions. Can't wait for the Oscars, especially with all the tension and the hosts as well as the presenters. :3

    ReplyDelete
  2. ewwwww god why do you like Melissa McCarthy? Her bathroom jokes are so... immiture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also agree with you and Patricia about the initial reaction of the winners once they hear their name. Although I feel that many of the winners expect to win, others are very humble and anyone can immediately see that they are happy just by being nominated among such respected workers. I can still clearly picture Octavia Spencer's reaction last year when she realized she had won an Oscar for Best Supporting Actress for her role as Minny, in The Help. It is always wonderful to observe the pure happiness each winner experiences as they proudly hold their Oscars :)

    ReplyDelete