Thursday, September 27, 2012

Wait...20th Century Fox Still Has a Say in Marvel Comics?

Mark Millar Now Consulting on All Marvel Films at 20th Century Fox

Although Disney now owns Marvel, 20th Century Fox is not through with all of the productions they began before selling the franchise at the price of $4 billion dollars. 20th Century Fox has decided to hire a head for their final Marvel movies: Mark Millar of popular films Kick-Ass and Wanted.

Millar spent 10 years with Marvel writing comics earlier in his career, and in reaction to his promotion, he has stated, "As someone who has spent his entire life obsessed with both comic-books and movies, this is essentially my dream gig as it's a unique combination of both...I really like the Fox team, love this bold new direction they have for their franchises and am proud to be working alongside some of modern cinema's biggest talents. James Mangold is incredible, Matthew Vaughn's one of my closest pals and Josh Trank gave us, in my opinion, one of the greatest superhero movies of the last decade with 'Chronicle.' The invitation to join this crew was maybe the coolest phone-call I've ever had."

This surprises me because I did not know that 20th Century Fox could still make Marvel movies. Why weren't all their productions shelved when Disney took over the multi-billion dollar franchise? The ability of 20th Century Fox to finish what they began is something that I did not think the competitive movie industry would allow. It's fascinating to know that Disney is permitting 20th Century Fox to continue producing movies under the Marvel name. To me, it shows an altruism that I did not know existed in the Darwinistic world of film.

In the industry, this means that there is a significant change of hands in the 20th Century Fox Marvel world. Now that former CEO Tom Rothman is resigning and Millar is taking his place, the movies that are being made for the company may change significantly. Who knows if the actors, directors, writers, or anyone on the crew will remain the same? Maybe even the screenplay will be adjusted!

Reading this as the film student I am, it gives me perspective on how the industry works when a franchise such as Marvel switches hands. I did not know that something this large could be handled so humanely and effectively. From my filmmaker eyes, I know that Millar can pull off being the creative head of 20th Century Fox's Marvel. Kick-Ass was one heck of a film, and I would love to see more movies of that caliber, especially the Fantastic Four reboot. I am excited as a consumer to see these films now that I know the production is in good hands. Hopefully these final films from 20th Century Fox meet or exceed my expectations!

No comments:

Post a Comment